Thursday, September 20, 2007

What Do Women Want?

It's a common question... among men and among marketers. Women, after all, control the majority of household spending money and their tastes (both in men and in retail) can be difficult to discern. I'm now finding myself asking this same question, as I decide what pottery and ceramics to invest in for my budding little business. I'm suddenly really curious what brides are looking for (ie, registering for) these days? What do friends and family of the bride and groom really want to give them? What about busy moms... what are their needs in the kitchen and dining room? Are they interested in novelty serving dishes or do they just want something that's cheap and sturdy? And then there is the older generation... the 50+ crowd who may be downsizing their home or they may be building a new home, looking for unique pieces of artwork that reflect their sophisticated tastes.

Then there's the question of style. Do people these days want modern and minimal or colorful and eclectic? Are they excited to collect artwork from around the world or are they more comfortable with the Crate&Barrel and Ikea basics?

I guess the reality is that not all women have the same taste. We know this is true of the men they date and I'm sure the same goes for the plates on which they serve dinner. Plus, I really can't discount men. After all, I know more than a few guys who are quite passionate about cooking and entertaining.

But amidst all this ambiguity, there must be some trends that overshadow the others... some current and overriding styles in tableware that would help me be a more informed buyer. Any and all thoughts on what's en vogue in the ceramic, pottery, tableware, or kitchen world would be much appreciated! Especially as it applies to specific ages/life stages of women... and men for that sake.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home