Friday, April 6, 2007

Spanish Pottery

I lived in Sevilla for a year -- that's when I really fell in love with the spanish people. There's a ton of ceramics in Spain and the most famous is from Andalucia. Personally, I find this typical style (below right) a little too busy though.





I do love the very basic terra cotta pottery from Spain. It's simple color and form is based solely on function - Sangria pitchers designed to keep the drink cold in the hot spanish summer and casserole dishes (shown below) perfect for oven-to-table dishes. In my opinion, it's the simplicity of these pieces that makes them beautiful.







I found some pieces that I love from Valencia. Here's a peice I think is really cool. I'm visiting this artist in Valencia.


A friend of mine in Lagrono said there's beautiful pottery made in a nearby town called Navarrete. I found a number of potters listed on the internet, but no pictures of their work. If you know what it looks like, please share. I don't really want to make the trip up to the Rioja region unless I've seen the pottery already.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home