Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ahhhh... España!

A while back I discovered a website written by Tapeña Wines, a family-run Spanish company operating 11 wineries throughout the country's best wine regions.  I was instantly drawn to the Tapeña website because it is all about the Spanish-inspired lifestyle that I love so much.  As I read it, I find myself smiling knowingly, nodding my head and thinking, Yes, exactly!  And God, I miss Spain!

For instance, in the section titled "the good life" (which in my mind is pretty much equivalent to "life in Spain"), they write: "Welcome to Spain, where lunch lasts two hours" and "every meal is a chance to make new friends."  Yes, exactly! God, I miss Spain! 

In a recent newsletter I received from Tapeña, they described Semana Santa (which is Easter week) in Sevilla.  Having lived in Sevilla and seen Semana Santa personally, I can tell you it is to this day, the most amazing tradition I've ever experienced.  Each church (and there are a lot of churches) makes an elaborate "float," a beautiful scene of a tearful Madonna or a sacrificial Jesus... and their parishioners carry it (no, they don't tow it, they actually carry it) from their church, through the streets of Sevilla, to the Cathedral where it is blessed, and then back to their church.  Sometimes rival churches even meet during the trip and have a sort of competitive face-off!

The round-trip journey can take days. They aren't marching constantly of course... this is Sevilla, after-all.  They make frequent stops at bars to have a cerveza and maybe some tapas, before they resume their pilgrimage.  It's absolutely amazing to watch.

In honor of my home (country) away from home -- which I get to return to soon for a buying trip -- I wanted to share the Tapeña Wines website with you: http://www.tapenawines.com/index.html.  They have great info on Spanish lifestyle, recipes, and of course wine.  Definitely worth a read as it has the power to transport you to what I consider heaven on earth: A place where good friends, good food, and good wine supersede any other life concern.

 
Above: Just another bar scene in Sevilla. 
Below: Jose and Pablo, two of my favorite bartenders in Sevilla.
 

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home